It’s becoming harder and harder to retire in California. For those who can afford it, the benefits are as expansive as our sparkling oceans — a perfect climate, rich diversity, and plenty of things to see and do.
When it comes to retirement, California’s small towns are the best kept secrets. They offer all the usual advantages of Golden State life with added charm and a hometown feel.
WorldAtlas recently published a list of the best small towns to retire in California. This is an excellent list — and one you’ll want to keep around if you plan to hang up your hat in the next five to ten years, or sooner.
The Best Small Towns To Retire In California
Listed in alphabetical order
- Auburn (Placer County)
- Eureka (Humboldt County)
- Grass Valley (Nevada County)
- Hemet (Riverside County)
- Moraga (Contra Costa County)
- Palm Springs (Riverside County)
- Paso Robles (San Luis Obispo County)
- Pismo Beach (San Luis Obispo County)
- Rio Vista (Solano County)
- San Luis Obispo
- Sierra Madre (Los Angeles County)
This list was compiled by WorldAtlas. Learn more about each of the cities and why they made WorldAtlas’ rankings here.