JOB TITLE: Accounting Manager
AGENCY: City of Bell
LOCATION: Bell, CA
FILING DEADLINE: December 8, 2023
SALARY RANGE: $9,495.91 – $11,542.33 Monthly
This position is responsible for the administration, operations, and staff of the Accounting division; manages a comprehensive fiscal accounting program, including financial record keeping, auditing, and reporting; and provides highly responsible and complex support to the Finance Director.
Essential job functions include, but are not limited to:
- Plans, organizes, and administers a comprehensive fiscal accounting program, including financial record keeping, auditing, and reporting in compliance with Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) standards.
- Participates in the development and implementation of department goals, objectives, policies and priorities.
- Supervises and directs the activities of staff, including employee selection, work assignment, performance evaluation, employee development, disciplinary action, and complaint resolution.
- Reviews, analyzes and reconciles reports prepared by accounting staff; oversees and participates in the preparation of the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR) utilizing Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) standards.
- Prepares documents, presentations and agenda reports; attends City Council, executive, and committee meetings regarding accounting and other related subjects.
- Coordinates annual audits of financial statements and actuarial studies.
- Performs month-end, fiscal year-end, and calendar year-end accounting system processing and reporting; examines related accounting transactions to ensure accuracy.
- Prepares and analyzes a variety of complex financial reports, statements, and schedules.
- Participates in the development, revision, interpretation, and maintenance of policy and procedure manuals governing fiscal matters; provides information to City Departments regarding financial policies and procedures.
- Monitors financial processes and procedures in City departments, including internal audits, and checks and balances; ensures that necessary corrective action is taken.
- Serves as the liaison with other divisions, departments and outside agencies; negotiates and resolves sensitive and controversial issues.
- Attends and participates in professional group meetings; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the field of municipal accounting, public administration, and related fields.
- Computer savvy with system implementations.
- Conducts studies and performs special projects.
- Performs related duties as required.
Exciting times are ahead for the City and its Accounting Manager. With newly acquired staff, the Accounting Manager will lead and develop the Accounting division. The responsibilities include implementing and ensuring internal controls are actively utilized so that each department complies with all applicable state, federal, and local laws. The Accounting Manager will monitor how each department uses general funds, special revenue, capital project, enterprise, internal services, and agency funds. This is essential during the City of Bellʼs time of robust growth, ensuring sustainable development as the City expands by acquiring new and exciting assets and Economic Development. The Accounting division will play a crucial role in managing the Cityʼs finances. The individual selected to assume this position will be expected to:
- Foster a work environment that encourages communication, team collaboration, employee development and growth; and motivates high performance and accountability.
- Assist in developing and implementing strategic plans, policies, and procedures.
- Cultivate new and continuing relationships with colleagues and key stakeholders and support the Cityʼs fiscal growth.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will be a positive and collaborative leader with effective decision-making skills who will be dedicated to building a growing accounting team in a city that is experiencing exciting economic growth. The ideal candidate must have a strong understanding of Governmental Accounting Standard Board Statements and be an expert in financial analysis, implementation, maintenance of accounting systems, process improvements, and public audit. They should also embody the values of our Cityʼs Approach to Public Service, including commitment to the community, excellence through teamwork, and doing the right thing the right way. This position requires the ability to manage a fast-paced work environment and be hands-on when necessary, particularly with more complex projects. Experience with different funding sources and revenues is a must, such as community facilities districts, municipal utilities, development impact fees, Federal & State grants, metro funds and housing authority. The successful candidate will be able to inspire, motivate, and empower staff while also serving as a model for Bellʼs workforce. They will encourage teamwork and collaboration to ensure high performance and quality project deliverables.
The City of Bell is a progressive city located in southeastern Los Angeles County, California, 10 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles. The population is approximately 35,400. With sunshine and a temperate climate year around, the City of Bell is local to all things Southern California - from the mountains to the sea, deserts to vineyards, and wide-open spaces; yet still close enough to urban centers, making the City a desirable destination. The City of Bell boasts all the amenities of Los Angeles and Orange Counties without the expense, hassle, and traffic. It has a highly skilled workforce, reasonable lease rates, quality office and retail development, and industrial, manufacturing and distribution.
We invite you to learn more about the City of Bell by reviewing the Cityʼs website at: https://www.cityofbell.org.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/REV-WEB_2023_City-of-Bell_Accounting-Manager_RM-V4.pdf.
To be considered, please submit a resume, cover letter, and five work related references (who will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) to: https://koffassociates.com/bell-accounting-manager. Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held, as well as size of past organization(s).
For more information, contact: