The City of Concord has developed a unique opportunity for an individual that possesses many talents. It has been created by combining the oversight and administration of the City's fleet vehicles and equipment, with the more senior administrative functions of the Public Works Department, including, but not limited to: administration of the annual sewer levy and landscape and lighting districts, budgetary and analytical tasks, report writing, and contract administration. Candidates possessing City fleet experience are highly desired.
The ideal Administrative Services Manager candidate is a highly motivated self-starter, who needs little direction, possesses extensive high-level customer service experience and has a keen eye for detail. He/She has a strong background working with software used for financial reporting and asset/inventory tracking. He/she is adept at analyzing data, and using it for report writing (including preparation of staff reports to City Council or other governing bodies). The ideal Administrative Services Manager candidate will have experience in contract and lease management. He/She will possess supervisory, and project/program management experience. He/She will assist the Public Works Management Team by gathering and assembling statistical data to recommend and make decisions on various departmental subjects. He/She will be a person that conducts his/her self with a high-degree of professionalism, can be entrusted with sensitive and or confidential information, and will personify the City's Mission, Vision, and Values.
1. Submit a completed City of Concord application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.cityofconcord.org by 5:00 p.m., Monday, December 2, 2019. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
Please attach a copy of your resume when you apply online. You must complete the job application in its entirety in addition to the resume submission in order to be considered (i.e., do not indicate "see resume" on job application).
2. All qualified applications and supplemental responses will be competitively evaluated, and those candidates demonstrating the strongest qualifications for the position will be invited to participate in a panel interview and practical assessment, which has been scheduled for Tuesday, December 10, 2019. If you are selected to participate in the panel interview/practical assessment and are unavailable, we regret that we will not be able to reschedule you.
3. Candidates that pass the panel interview will be placed on the hiring list, based on rank, for further consideration to fill the current regular vacancy, as well as others occurring over the next 12 months.
IMPORTANT: Contact with candidates will primarily be via email. Make sure you list a current email that you check regularly on your application.
If you have any specific questions regarding the recruitment and selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (925) 671-3308.
ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES MANAGER
Under general direction, provides business management and financial analysis services; develops and administers business plans for the provision of City services; provides general administrative support and/or program administration as needed; serves as a member of the department's management team; and performs related and other work as required all within the context of the City's Mission of providing responsive, cost effective, and innovative local government services through a collaborative effort with the community to make Concord a city of the highest quality.
Equipment, Methods & Guidelines
Uses federal, state and city laws, regulations, policies and procedures, City vehicles, telephones, calculators, and computers.
Work is conducted primarily in an office setting. Conditions may involve attendance at meetings held during the workday and in the evenings. Also includes irregular hours as necessary to meet deadlines and achieve objectives.
The work emphasizes speech, hearing, vision, and stamina associated with attendance at evening meetings following a normal workday.
This management level classification may be populated with multiple incumbents who create and participate in developing financial tools and business strategies that support implementation of entrepreneurial activities and business plans. Work may also involve the development and administration of internal and external contracts for interagency services with other agencies. This classification is distinguished from the generalist classification series of Administrative Analyst by its focus on and specialization in providing business management and financial analysis services, and by the latter's more general scope of assignments providing administrative, financial, and staff support and/or program administration for a City department.
Supervisory Guidance Received/Given
Limited direction is provided by a department director.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
May include but are not limited to:
1. Develops and participates in the implementation of operational business plans.
2. Reviews and analyzes proposed new business opportunities.
3. Creates and participates in developing financial tools and business strategies requiring strong financial business planning and cost analysis skills, which support implementation of entrepreneurial activities and business plans.
4. As a member of the departmental senior/executive team, proposes and drafts and reviews proposed policies and strategies including organizational development.
5. Conducts ongoing review of administrative and operational processes and procedures for opportunities for continuous improvement. Develops and implements operational performance measurement tools and standards.
6. May administer department business operations. Plans, organizes and directs departmental administrative service functions, major programs and/or divisional activities.
7. Oversees and administers the department budget throughout the year identifying variances-making budget transfers and in general managing the overall debt and budget to be balanced at year-end. Monitors and analyzes costs and expenditures. Develops the proposed budget including revenue projections and coordinates departmental budget development process.
8. Develops and administers internal and external contracts for interagency services with other agencies. Prepares specifications and requests for proposals.
9. Supervises, trains, and evaluates the work of assigned staff.
10. Conducts surveys. Prepares technical and analytical reports and recommendations for implementation by department staff, the City Manager and/or the City Council.
11. Plans, organizes and conducts public meetings.
12. Negotiates, monitors and/or administers projects. Leads and/or participates in projects pertaining to citywide objectives, as assigned by the City Manager.
13. Promotes the City's Mission to make Concord a city of the highest quality by providing responsive, cost-effective, and innovative government services; understands and subscribes to the Vision and Values Statement adopted by the City.
14. Performs other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of the principles and practices of financial planning and management services, business administration, and/or public administration and budgeting; public and private business financial plan development and integration strategies; fiscal and cost analysis; research methodologies; technical, business, and analytical report writing; principles and practices of managing and supervising a diverse workforce; legislation and regulations relating to non-discrimination; methodologies and techniques of program management; word processing and financial management information systems and spreadsheets; techniques employed in public presentations; team building and group dynamics; principles and techniques of organizational and operational analysis; and continuous improvement tools; principles and practices of supervision and personnel administration; relationships between local, state and federal government.
Ability to develop and implement financial and business plans; participate as a team member or team leader in departmental and citywide teams which may include team members from other agencies, businesses, and/or the general public; conduct organizational, operational, and highly complex fiscal and statistical analysis; employ practices of group dynamics; apply continuous improvement and organizational transformation tools; make presentations appropriate to the targeted audience; effectively utilize standard word processing, database and spread sheet programs to analyze and report on department and division operations; plan, organize and administer programs and/or projects; communicate effectively with others, both verbally and in writing; develop and maintain effective working relationships with people from a variety of ethnic and socio-economic groups; develop recommendations for programs, procedures, organizational structures, and operational guidelines and implement them as directed; learn local accounting practices; and learn departmental and City operations, functions and characteristics.
Education: Possession of a Bachelor's Degree in finance, business or public administration or a closely related field is required.
Experience: Five years of related progressively responsible financial or analytical experience.
For more information or to apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/1701487
The City of Concord is an Equal Opportunity/Veteran’s Preference Employer.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute a contract, express or implied and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice. It is a policy of the City to refuse to consider a person for a position whenever that person’s relationship to an employee, elected or appointed official, or member of a board or commission has the potential for creating adverse impact on supervision, safety, security, or morale, or involves a potential conflict of interest.