The County of Ventura is seeking experienced, qualified candidates to be considered for the position of Assistant Director - Public Works Agency. We offer an annual base salary of approximately $159,818.92 - $223,768.43 (DOE). Click here
to be directed to the job advertisement and brochure on the County of Ventura website.
Reporting to the Agency Director, the Assistant Director—Public Works Agency will be responsible for day-to-day oversight of operational departments in the Public Works Agency: Roads & Transportation, Water & Sanitation and Watershed Protection, all of which consists of a total of 80% of the Public Works Agency’s workforce. This strategic alignment is designed to place the Departments with Operations and Maintenance staff together to enhance their collaboration while providing support to the Department Directors to achieve their mission.
The Assistant Director – Public Works Agency will focus on operational Departments, assisting the three operational Department Directors to advance specific projects and programs. The new Assistant Director will be expected to maintain positive working relationships with and provide presentations to key County stakeholders including the Board of Supervisors, agency/department heads, senior management and citizen groups, as well as other members of the public. This position will act as Agency Director in their absence.
The successful candidate will be proficient in day-to-day operational oversight of roads & transportation, watershed protection, or water & sanitation at a leadership level. The Assistant Director will be a collaborative, inclusive, results-oriented leader who thrives in a fast-paced workplace, can transform strategy into operational goals and objectives, and produce measurable outcomes. Innovative and forward-thinking professionalism and skill in strategic planning as well as excellent project management and communication skills are essential to this position.
The ideal candidate has a track record of demonstrated leadership and proven accomplishments in a public sector unionized organization and an aptitude for clear, concise, direct communication, and the ability to succinctly summarize complex information.
Progressively responsible management experience which has led to the required knowledge and abilities.
Bachelor's degree in Engineering is required. Additionally, ten (10) years’ progressive management experience including a minimum of three (3) years’ executive level management.
Possession and maintenance of a valid California driver license.
Current California Professional Civil Engineering license issued by the California State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers.
A Master’s Degree is preferred in Business Administration, Public Administration, Engineering or related field is desired.
To apply for this exceptional career opportunity, please send a resume and a cover letter which illustrates the following:
- Your progressive management experience including three (3) years at an executive management level within a public works organization or related.
- Your experience leading and managing staff, including the titles, sizes, and functions of staff you supervised.
- Your experience managing budgets, including the size and nature of budgets you have managed.
- Your experience preparing and making public presentations preferably to a board, council, or commission.
Submit in one of the following ways:
- E-mail your current resume to Monika.Maine@ventura.org;
- Mail a hard copy resume to Monika.Maine@ventura.org, County of Ventura, Human Resources Division, 800 S. Victoria Ave., L-#1970, Ventura CA 93009.
- Submit an on-line application at www.ventura.org/jobs and attach your current resume and cover letter to it.