The Finance Department is seeking an organized, dependable, flexible, and self-directed individual with excellent communication skills to serve in the capacity of Budget Analyst. The ideal Budget Analyst candidate will have experience working in a public agency with a complex budget that includes multiple funding sources, and will have performed budget or financial analysis work. This position requires the candidate to be adept at daily budget oversight and management. Accounting knowledge and experience with completing journal entries is preferred. The ideal candidate is technologically savvy, and has the ability to work with complex assignments requiring a high level of attention to detail. In addition, this position requires an ability to maintain successful, collaborative, and constructive working relationships with office staff and other department staff. Finally, the ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, looking to grow and excel, and be invested in the City's future. A Bachelor's Degree in public or business administration, accounting or a related field is required.
The City's next Budget Analyst will also be an individual that personifies, and is guided by, the City's Mission, Vision, and Values.
1. Submit a completed City of Concord application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.cityofconcord.org by 5:00 p.m., Monday, December 2, 2019. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
Please attach a copy of your resume when you apply online. You must complete the job application in its entirety in addition to the resume submission in order to be considered (i.e., do not indicate "see resume" on job application).
2. All qualified applications and supplemental responses will be competitively evaluated, and those candidates demonstrating the strongest qualifications for the position will be invited to participate in a panel interview, which has been scheduled for Wednesday, December 11, 2019. If you are selected to participate in the panel interview and are unavailable, we regret that we will not be able to reschedule you.
*The selection process may include a practical exercise and/or additional panel interviews.
3. Candidates that pass the panel interview will be placed on the hiring list, based on rank, for further consideration to fill the current regular vacancy, as well as others occurring over the next 12 months.
IMPORTANT: Contact with candidates will primarily be via email. Make sure you list a current email that you check regularly on your application.
If you have any specific questions regarding the recruitment and selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (925) 671-3308.
Prepares, coordinates, and monitors City-wide budgets; administers budget software systems; develops computerized financial reports; manages assigned duties; performs related work as required all within the context of the City's Mission, Vision and Values Statement and a strong and progressive customer service orientation.
Supervisory Guidance Received/Given
Reports to the Budget Officer. Receives general administrative support and control rather than direct control over methods; may supervise assigned staff; may act as the Budget Officer.
Conducts work primarily in an office setting; includes irregular hours to attend evening meetings, meet deadlines, and achieve objectives.
Equipment, Methods & Guidelines
Uses federal, state and City laws, regulations, policies, and procedures. Typically uses City telephones, calculators and computer systems.
Communicates with City staff, the public, consultants and other government agencies.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
1. Assists in the preparation of City-wide budgets; provides procedures, requirements, instructions and schedules for budget input and preparation; directs and implements modifications to budget, payroll, position control and financial systems.
2. Monitors budget performance for the City; prepares customized financial management reports; recommends corrective actions for resolution of budget performance issues.
3. Assists in preparation of long-range financial plans for operating departments, which may include capital improvement projects.
4. Evaluates changes to staffing; provides cost analysis of impacts for planning purposes.
5. Provides training in the use of computerized financial systems and budget development procedures.
6. Reviews and approves expenditures within budget guidelines.
7. Monitors financial data collection systems.
8. Manages a position control system that provides salary and benefit cost analysis information for all personnel; incorporates position control into budget documents and projects impacts on the long-range financial plan.
9. Promotes the City's Mission to make Concord a city of the highest quality by providing responsive, cost-effective and innovative government services; understands and subscribes to the Vision and Values Statement adopted by the City.
10. Other duties as required.
Knowledge and Abilities
Knowledge of the principles and practices of public sector budgeting, financial analysis and accounting; of computerized financial systems; and of principles and practices of public administration. Ability to communicate effectively with City staff, the public, and contractors, including preparing/presenting financial reports; to analyze complex and sensitive funding and performance issues and work with staff to resolve; to understand, interpret and apply appropriate policies, regulations, and procedures; and to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education: Possession of a Bachelor's degree in Public or Business Administration, Accounting, or a related field is required.
Experience: Four years of increasingly responsible professional experience in finance, budgeting or accounting, including at least two years of experience performing financial analysis.
For more information or to apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/1710778
The City of Concord is an Equal Opportunity/Veteran’s Preference Employer.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute a contract, express or implied and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice. It is a policy of the City to refuse to consider a person for a position whenever that person’s relationship to an employee, elected or appointed official, or member of a board or commission has the potential for creating adverse impact on supervision, safety, security, or morale, or involves a potential conflict of interest.