To review full job description and to begin the online application process, please visit here.
WHO WE ARE:
The City of Santa Maria is a full-service City with a City Council/City Manager form of government with over 700 employees, an annual budget of approximately $222 million for FY 2019-20 and serves approximately 108,000 constituents. The City of Santa Maria is located on the beautiful central coast of California and covers over 23 square miles. The City has a harmonious balance of maintaining coastal and agricultural lands while promoting business. Santa Maria has been recognized nationally as an All-America City by the National Civic League and offers reasonably priced housing, community festivals, quality schools, and is in close proximity to beaches, cultural arts, a local airport, wineries, and higher education institutions.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Perform complex professional work involving systems analysis, high-level design, project management, and implementation of application systems to meet the needs of the City's business processes. Manage the specification, selection, development and implementation of new Information Technology (IT) systems. Serve as project leader for assigned systems and processes and performs analysis for new projects and for changes to existing systems; and performs other duties as assigned.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR IN CANDIDATES:
DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION:
Business Systems Analyst
Due upon application:
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
The following duties are typical of this classification and are intended only to describe the various types of work that may be performed, the level of technical complexity of the assignment(s), and are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties. The omission of a specific duty statement does not exclude it from the position if the work is consistent with the concept of the classification, or is similar or closely related to another duty statement to address business needs and changing business practices.
Analyzes and documents business processes, systems and/or applications. Evaluates alternatives for designing or enhancing automated solutions to meet business needs. Assesses and modifies new business rules, procedures and data usage to meet departmental goals. Prepares and updates business process models and system documentation. Assists in preparing project plans, schedules and, task lists. Prepares unit, system and user acceptance testing criteria for system modifications. Oversees testing of system changes. Plans and coordinates implementation of new systems, and the integration of changes into the processes of an existing systems. Serves as project functional lead, coordinator or manager. Provides orientation, training, and documentation on new or enhanced system functions to end-users. Evaluates work of testing staff for conformity with established testing procedures. Provides facilitation and coordination for departmental and cross-departmental planning efforts. Works with end-users on troubleshooting issues and finding resolutions. Keeps abreast of evolving business analysis methods through workshops, seminars, trade journals and self-study. Works with other IT staff in solving system issues. Consistently demonstrates ability to respond to changing situations in a flexible manner in order to meet current needs.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business process analysis and application system process and functional design.
Three or more years' experience that demonstrates the ability to perform business systems analysis as described herein.
Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP), Certification of Competency in Business Analysis (CCBA) or PMI Professional in Business Analysis (PMI-PBA) designation or similar is highly desirable.
any combination of education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate knowledge, skills, and abilities to meet the above minimum requirements.
- Processes, methods and techniques detailed in the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge (BABOK).
- Business analysis tools and software.
- Creating and administering procurement selection methods such as Requests for Proposal (RFP), Requests for Quote (RFQ), etc.
- Municipal government services and operations or similar operations in a diversified organization.
- Various hardware and software technology solutions.
- Information technology terminology, techniques and principles.
- Project management principles and practices.
- Principles and practices of exemplary customer service.
- Logically and systematically approach complex problems and provide alternative solutions.
Take a proactive approach to problem solving.
- Prioritize and perform work effectively with minimum direction in a complex, diverse, environment.
- Assist or lead in a project management capacity.
- Systematically analyze situations and issues, identify options, and draw logical conclusions and sound inferences.
- Determine and recommend practical courses of action using innovation, creativity, good judgment and strategic thinking.
- Relate to different communication styles of project team members who come from a broad spectrum of disciplines.
- Learn, understand and apply new and emerging technologies.
- Communicate both orally and in writing ideas, concepts, and recommendations clearly and concisely.
- Reprioritize work as necessary.
- Work well with end-users and other employees in a team–based environment.
- Learn the organization, procedures, and operating details of City departments.
- Collaborate with diverse interest groups in reaching a consensus for the betterment of the community.
- Demonstrate an awareness and appreciation of the cultural diversity of the community.
- Practice and exemplify the City of Santa Maria's Mission Statement.
Possession of a valid and appropriate California Driver License. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driving record and be insurable to operate City vehicles.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Computer workstations, laptops, printers, mobile devices, phones, other computer peripheral and telecommunications equipment; servers and network devices; Microsoft software and various application software; small hand tools; calculator; telephone; copy machine; and fax machine.
Applicants are required to apply online. Hard copy application packets will not be accepted in lieu of applying through the online process. However, persons who believe they are qualified under the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) or California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) may request a reasonable accommodation to participate in the recruitment process. The request must be received by Human Resources with sufficient time prior to the final filing deadline, to allow for the request to be considered through the interactive process.
The completed electronic application packet will include the online application and supplemental questions, and electronic attachments of a resume, and cover letter. For any technical difficulties or help with attaching documents to your application, please contact NEOGOV at 1-855-524-5627.
Although you are unable to make changes to a completed application or add additional documents once you initially submit your packet, should you need to make corrections or attach a document you missed, you may only do so by submitting an entire new application packet prior to the final filing deadline. Please note if you reapply, ONLY your most recent application will be reviewed; all portions of previous applications submitted will be automatically archived without review. It is the applicant's responsibility to submit a fully completed application for Human Resources review; incomplete applications will be subject to disqualification.
The most qualified candidates will be selected to appear before a panel for an oral interview. Those applicants invited to interview will be notified electronically at the e-mail address provided by each candidate through application process. Therefore, it is the applicant's responsibility to provide an accurate email address and to allow their inbox to receive emails in regard to this recruitment. The oral board will recommend a limited number of candidates to the eligibility list from which the new Business Operations Analyst may be selected.
Prior to an offer of employment, applicants must pass a thorough background investigation.
If at any time during the recruitment any portion of your application packet does not meet the requirements you may be disqualified from further consideration in this recruitment.