About the City
The City of Malibu is a unique coastal environment with a well-informed, highly engaged community of approximately 13,000. It is located in the northwest corner of Los Angeles County. Encompassing approximately 21 square miles, Malibu consists primarily of residential development. It is bordered by the Santa Monica Mountains to the north and the Pacific Ocean to the south, providing a pleasant, mild climate year-round. Incorporated in 1991, Malibu is a general law city with a Council-Manager form of government. The City has an annual operating budget of $31.5 million and employs a staff of 90 full-time equivalent positions providing Management and Administration, Planning, Building Safety and Environmental Services, Public Works and Community Services. The City contracts for fire, law enforcement, utilities, plan checking, traffic engineering and street maintenance services.
About the Position
The City Clerk is a vital member of the City’s Executive Management Team. The culture of the management team is strongly cohesive and supports open communication and mutual respect.
Under policy and general direction of the City Manager, the City Clerk plans, organizes and provides direction and oversight to and participates in all City Clerk functions and activities, which include the conduct of elections, the custody and access of public records, including Council actions, the legal notification of various Council, commission and committee meetings, and the preparation of agenda materials and minutes for City Council meetings.
Performance of the work requires knowledge of public policy, municipal functions and activities including the role of an elected City Council, and the ability to develop, oversee and implement projects, including preparing and administering the budget for the City’s Clerk’s office and the City Council.
Minimum Qualifications Required
- Experienced in automated and manual records management principles and practices, including legal requirements for recording, retention, and disclosure.
- Knowledgeable of the Brown Act, Political Reform Act, Government Codes and Elections, and applicable laws, codes, and regulations.
- Critical thinker who embraces continual learning and embraces process for overseeing complex operations and enjoys community engagement.
- Understands the importance of the City's budget, and has experience in budget development, administration, and accountability.
- Will have experience in selecting and administering technology advances to improve efficiency in the City Clerk’s office and public records access.
- Is team-orientated with innovative ideas who is customer service driven and skilled in accurate and effective communications.
- Possesses an engaging and collaborative management style and high ethical and professional values.
- Has the ability to coordinate municipal elections within legal guidelines.
- Has experience of administrative principles and practices, including goal setting, program development, implementation and evaluation, and supervision of staff.
- Is detail-oriented, motivated and flexible.
- Displays outstanding integrity and judgment.
- Has the ability to prepare clear and concise reports, correspondence, policies, procedures and other written materials.
Equivalent to an Associate’s degree and five (5) years of experience in municipal government, preferably with a City Clerk’s Office, including two (2) years of supervisory experience. Bachelor’s degree is highly desirable.
Must possess and maintain a valid California class C driver license and have a satisfactory driving record. Possession of certification as a Certified Municipal Clerk, and license as a Notary Public are highly desirable.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications. Salary range is $111,955 – $146,076.
The City also offers an attractive benefits package, which includes: PERS Retirement: New members to CalPERS, new PEPRA formula 2% at 62, three-year average, 7.25% member contribution, classic CalPERS members 2% at 55, one-year average. The City does not contribute to Social Security. Vacation: Starting at 120 hours per year, increasing to 160 hours beginning the 11th year of service. Sick Leave: 96 hours per year. Holidays: 11 fixed holidays per year. Administrative Leave: 54 hours per fiscal year. Health Insurance: 100% paid coverage for employee and dependent care premiums (up to PERS Choice family plan level). Dental and Vision 100% paid coverage for employee and dependent care premiums. Life Insurance: Life insurance coverage equal to employee’s annual salary, up to a maximum of $175,000. Tuition Reimbursement: $2,500 per fiscal year. Employee Assistance Program. Long Term/Short Term Disability. Deferred Compensation: The City contributes $250 per month to a qualified deferred compensation plan. Employees have the option to sign up with the Ventura County Credit Union. The City offers a 9/80 work schedule.
To be considered for this outstanding opportunity, apply online at www.malibucity.org/jobs
Application, supplemental questionnaire and resume must be received by the filing deadline.
Following a review of the applications and resumes received, only the most qualified candidates will be invited to participate in the examination process. Final appointment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation and physical examination.
Under Federal Law, all new employees must produce proof of eligibility to work in the United States. This requires presenting, at the time of appointment, an original or certified copy of a Social Security card and California Driver License, or other suitable documentation. Final appointment is contingent upon verification of documentation. Individuals with disabilities, who require accommodation in the application or testing process, must provide the Human Resources Department, at the time of application, with documentation from a qualified authority to confirm the disability and prescribed accommodation. The City of Malibu is an equal opportunity employer.
Friday, August 6, 2021 at 4:00 p.m.