JOB TITLE: City Manager
AGENCY: City of Oceanside
LOCATION: Oceanside, CA
FILING DEADLINE: June 17, 2022
The City Manager provides professional leadership in the management of the City and is responsible for the coordination of all municipal programs and the executive supervision of all City departments and agencies. The City Manager’s principal duties and responsibilities include assisting members of the City Council in formulating policies and responding to City Council issues and concerns, either directly or through various City staff members, to recommend options and potential solutions. The City Manager attends all meetings of the Mayor and City Council and carries out City Council policy as a guide to daily assignment of City operations. As Executive Director, she/he also attends all meetings of the Community Development Commission.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
The Ideal Candidate
- Direct special administrative studies, investigations, and surveys to determine the effectiveness of administrative practices.
- Analyze contracts, leases, reports, purchase bids, and other matters requiring comprehensive analysis in order to authorize administrative action.
- Oversee departmental operations and expenditures; supervise the preparation and administration of the annual budget, and direct the development of program objectives, definitions, directions, and priorities.
- Assist in General Plan updates.
- Perform other related work as required by the Mayor and City Council.
The ideal candidate will be a visionary, strategic, and high-energy leader who can work with city council, staff, and key stakeholders to achieve economic growth and improve quality of life for a diverse community. The successful candidate will have well-rounded skills in all facets of public sector governance, a proven track record in successful community development, and a solid financial acumen. The ideal candidate leads by setting a positive example of being proactive and organized; provides clear and consistent direction and can assess talent, mentor, and develop a team-oriented, high performing working environment. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required to manage The City as it moves to promote new business ventures and build and maintain effective and collaborative relationships with regional and national business partners, staff, and elected officials. A candidate that can demonstrate the ability to work positively and effectively with staff and promote positive morale and team building in the organization is highly valued, as is their desire to embrace and be a part of the City of Oceanside.
A background addressing issues around homelessness, working with various populations, an understanding of coastal issues and opportunities, and knowledge of community and economic development is extremely helpful.
Key Competencies and Characteristics
- An individual with the highest personal and professional integrity.
- A successful track history at building collaborative business and community-oriented working relationships.
- An enthusiastic, inspiring, and engaged communicator. A good listener.
- A strong leader who shares the vision of the council and community, and can advocate, articulate, and implement that vision. The ability to deliver information and comprehensive research to City Council in a balanced and unbiased manner.
- Provide options and solutions with different sides to an issue with strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and risks for each alternative.
- A manager who can blend innovation and creativity, think outside the box, and creatively move the city in a positive direction while acknowledging and responding to its challenges.
- A solid, optimistic leader and role model with a positive presence; demonstrate initiative, be action oriented, treat others with respect, be collaborative and approachable.
- Technologically astute; recognizes the value of harnessing and integrating the benefits of cutting-edge technology for city government and for residents.
- A strong leader able to use sound judgement, wisdom and maintain flexibility. Must be politically astute, while remaining apolitical.
The City of Oceanside is the third-largest city in San Diego County with a population of approximately 177,000. Oceanside is a thriving beachfront community centrally located in the heart of the beautiful Southern California coastline. Located just 83 miles south of Los Angeles, residents enjoy proximity to all major Southern California destinations, while maintaining its coastal beauty and autonomy.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Rev2-Oceanside-CM-Proof.pdf
To be considered, please submit a resume, cover letter, and six professional references (references will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) at: https://koffassociates.com/city-manager-2/
Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held, as well as size of staff and budgets you have managed.
For additional information, please contact:
Frank Rojas at (510) 495-0448 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org