The City of Pleasant Hill invites your interest for the position of Economic Development Manager.
View the Job Announcement.
The Economic Development Manager will plan, organize, direct, coordinate and manage the activities of the economic development program utilizing specialized knowledge and skills to develop and implement strategies and projects to encourage business attraction, retention and expansion.
The Economic Development Manager receives administrative direction from the City Manager. Responsibilities and essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to:
• Assist the City Manager in developing and implementing the goals, objectives, policies and priorities for the economic development program.
• Prepare and present staff reports and information on economic development projects to the City Council.
• Plan, prepare and implement marketing strategies, programs and special events that promote and expand the quality of life for both residents and businesses in the City and support economic vitality of the City.
• Participate in and manage collaborative programs of economic development with the Chamber of Commerce, business community and other public and private sector entities.
• Serve as the City’s representative and primary liaison to the Pleasant Hill Tourism Improvement District (TID), including staff support for formation/renewal of the TID.
• Monitor, compile, analyze and report on various information data sources including employment, retail sales tax, business license, commercial real estate, population and demographics, hotel occupancy rates and assessed property values.
• Coordinate with other City divisions/departments on current and planned development projects.
• Exercise management and operational authority over assigned projects, services, and administration operations; maintain financial and administrative processes and records; develop recommendations for establishing and/or modifying policies and procedures.
• Monitor workflow of the Economic Development Division and review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures and make necessary recommendations to the City Manager.
• Prepare budget and forecasting for the Economic Development Division.
• Serve as primary staff support for the City Council Economic Development Committee providing policy research and project implementation of economic development activities in the City.
• Serve as the City’s primary contact with the commercial real estate brokerage community including participation at local and regional International Council of Shopping Center (ICSC) events.
• Represent the City and establish and maintain positive working relationships with representatives of community organizations, business organizations, state and local agencies and associations, city management, staff and the general public.
• Serve as the City’s liaison with the property owner and manager of Downtown Pleasant Hill to coordinate and facilitate projects in the Downtown.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate requires significant professional and managerial competency in economic development and only those candidates able to “hit the ground running” and quickly establish rapport, trust, and credibility within the organization and the community will be considered.
The City seeks a self-starter with excellent relationship building, communication skills, both spoken and written, and an upbeat attitude about economic development attraction, retention and expansion. This opportunity will serve an individual best if they are truly interested in becoming an integral part of a high performing organization.
A Bachelor’s degree with major course work in public administration, economics, business administration and four years of professional experience is required as is possession of, or the ability to obtain, an appropriate California driver’s license. The ideal candidate will have experience in municipal economic development and expansion.
Compensation & Benefits
The annual salary range is $131,520 - $174,924; placement in this range is dependent upon qualifications. The City also offers a competitive benefits package that includes:
Application & Selection Process
- Retirement – The City participates in the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) under a 2% @ 60 formula for Classic Members. The City contributes 3% to a 401(a) plan as well as $200/month to an RHS plan. Voluntary Roth IRA & 457 plans available.
- Medical Benefits – The City offers two choices for coverage—Kaiser or Blue Shield. The City pays 75% of the Kaiser monthly premium at each coverage level.
- Dental & Vision – City-paid coverage for employee and eligible dependents.
- Life Insurance – City-paid coverage equal to 1x annual salary.
- Holidays – City recognizes 13 paid holidays per year.
- Vacation Leave – Negotiable based on Management Pay Plan
- Sick Leave – Accrues at the rate of one day per month, with no maximum accrual.
- Administrative Leave – Up to 16 hours of administrative leave each month on a non-cumulative basis.
- Section 125 Plan – Dependent care and out-of-pocket medical costs may be paid on a pre-tax basis.
To be considered for this opportunity, submit your application and cover letter online at www.calopps.org.
Your cover letter should express your interest in the position and why you would be an ideal candidate. Deadline to apply is 5:00 p.m. on May 28, 2021.
Following the closing date, applications will be screened according to the qualifications outlined herein. The most qualified candidates will be invited for an oral board interview, based on background and experience as evidenced by their application. To be placed on an eligibility list, applicants must receive a passing score of 70 or more from each panel member. Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment physical exam and a thorough background check.
The City of Pleasant Hill is an Equal Opportunity Employer.