The Finance Department is seeking an organized, dependable, flexible, and self-directed individual with excellent communication skills to serve in the capacity of Financial Analyst. The ideal candidate has a strong technical background. and has experience in managing a Treasury function, including thorough knowledge of municipal accounting, investing public funds, managing banking services, revenue forecasting and analysis, cash management, cashiering and internal controls, revenue audits, and business tax and permit program administration.
The ideal candidate is also someone who is technologically savvy, and has the ability to work with complex assignments requiring a high level of attention to detail. In addition, this position requires an ability to maintain successful, collaborative, and constructive working relationships with office staff and other department staff. The future incumbent will be someone who embraces and personifies the City’s Mission, Vision and Values. Finally, the ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, looking to grow and excel, and be invested in the City's future. A Bachelor's Degree in business administration, accounting, or a related field is required.
PLEASE NOTE: Proof of COVID vaccination is a condition of initial and continued employment.
1. Submit a completed City of Concord application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.cityofconcord.org by 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, November 30, 2021. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted. Please attach a copy of your resume when you apply. You must complete the job application in its entirety in addition to the resume submission in order to be considered.
2. All qualified applications and supplemental responses will be competitively evaluated, and those candidates demonstrating the strongest qualifications for the position will be invited to participate in a virtual panel interview, which has been scheduled for the week of December 6, 2021. If you are selected to participate in the panel interview and are unavailable, we regret that we will not be able to reschedule you.
3. Candidates that pass the panel interview will be placed on the hiring list, based on rank, for further consideration to fill the current regular vacancy, as well as others occurring over the next 12 months.
IMPORTANT: Contact with candidates will primarily be via email. Make sure you list a current email that you check regularly on your application.
If you have any specific questions regarding the recruitment and selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (925) 671-3308.
Performs professional accounting and financial analysis work; monitors financial data collection systems and develops financial reports; manages assigned duties; performs related work and other assigned duties as required all within the context of the City’s Mission, Vision, and Values Statement and a strong and progressive customer service orientation.
Supervisory Guidance Received/Given
Receives general administrative support and control rather than direct control over methods. May supervise assigned staff.
Conducts work primarily in an office setting; includes irregular hours to attend evening meetings, meet deadlines, and achieve objectives.
Equipment, Methods & Guidelines
Uses federal, state, and City laws, regulations, policies, and procedures. Typically uses City telephones, calculators, and computer systems.
Communicates with City staff, the public, consultants, and other government agencies.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
In general, for all assignments:
1. Monitors financial data collection systems and develops financial reports.
2. Provides support to managers and/or directors on a project-specific basis, as required. 3. Performs other duties as required.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES MAY INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
1. Plans, organizes, controls, trains and evaluates cash handling activities.
2. Maintains current knowledge of new trends and innovations in the field of revenue and
cash collections, related internal control programs, and customer service; attends and participates in professional group meetings; participates in professional development activities; reads publications relevant to area of assignment.
3. Organizes, controls and evaluates revenue collection activities.
4. Monitors the City's banking and investment portfolio manager relationships, develops and
analyzes cash flow projections and develops certain revenue projections; monitors investment of surplus funds; prepares Treasurer's reports for submission to the City Council; annually reviews and updates the City's investment policy and prepares and submits for City Council approval; maintains financial transactions records from City revenue sites.
5. Supervises the Accounts Receivable function; approves invoices for payment, write-offs, delinquencies, and cancellations.
6. May provide lead direction and/or supervision, training and work review to staff.
Knowledge and Abilities
Knowledge of the principles and practices of governmental fund accounting, public sector budgeting, and financial analysis; computerized financial systems; and principles and practices of public administration.
Ability to communicate effectively with City staff, the public, and elected/appointed officials, including preparing and/or presenting financial reports; analyze complex and sensitive financial issues and work with staff to resolve; to understand, interpret, and apply appropriate policies, regulations, and procedures; and to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education: Possession of a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Finance,
Accounting, or a related field.
Experience: Four years of increasingly responsible professional experience in finance, budgeting, or accounting, including at least two years of experience performing financial analysis.
A California Driver's License and a satisfactory driving record are conditions of initial and continued employment.
Proof of COVID vaccination is a condition of initial and continued employment.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
1950 Parkside Drive
Concord, CA 94519