JOB TITLE: Fire Chief
AGENCY: City of Vista
LOCATION: Vista, CA
FILING DEADLINE: April 21, 2023
SALARY RANGE: Top of range is $241,680
The Fire Chief reports to the City Manager and acts as the chief executive for the Fire Department; planning, organizing, directing and administering programs of the Department, including fire prevention, fire suppression, fire investigation, and emergency medical services and other related work as required.
Duties and responsibilities include:
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Assume full management responsibility for all department services and activities, including the community fire protection system, fire suppression and prevention, and emergency medical services; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
- Manage the development and implementation of departmental goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for each assigned service area.
- Assess and forecast workload, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identify opportunities for improvement; direct and implement changes.
- Direct disaster preparedness and other fire protection programs to minimize the loss of life and property within the community.
- Select, train, motivate, and evaluate assigned personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies and ensure high performance.
- Oversee and participate in the development and responsibly administer the department budget; approve the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; approve expenditures and implement budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
- Represent the Fire Department to other departments, elected officials and outside agencies; coordinate assigned activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations.
- Provide assistance to the City Manager and other stakeholders; participate on a variety of boards, commissions, and committees; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of fire safety.
- Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
The ideal candidate will be an ethical, innovative, and personable leader and effective communicator with excellent managerial skills, a strong customer-service orientation, and a proven track record in creating a positive, cohesive, and productive work culture. This position requires an engaging and forward-thinking individual with the ability to facilitate positive change, work effectively with staff, executive leadership, and elected officials, a willingness to collaborate with other department heads, business leaders, and labor associations, and to provide employee training and growth opportunities. Successful candidates will possess a proven history of inspiring an inclusive, team-oriented working environment based on effective communication, efficiency, and accountability. The ideal candidate will be a resilient, creative professional with the highest moral character and integrity, with a desire to interact with staff, welcome new ideas, and build a strong connection with the community. The ability to use good judgement in assessing, auditing, and ensuring departmental best practices, processes, and procedures including leave, contracts, purchasing, and emergency services management is ideal.
Key attributes and characteristics:
- A solid, ethical leader and role model with a positive presence; demonstrated initiative; action-oriented; exercises wisdom in judgment; and makes good, consistent decisions.
- An active problem solver who anticipates and responds to problems in a timely manner, develops alternative solutions, and can bring resolution to issues timely, involving others as needed.
- Politically sensitive with the ability to write concise staff and other reports for presentation in oral or written format to city council or other elected bodies.
- Team-oriented with a track record of providing outstanding service to internal and external customers.
- Strong administrative acumen, with the ability to carefully evaluate and improve the Department’s efficiency, effectiveness, and practices.
- A relationship builder who cultivates and provides positive and personal leadership, and creates productive partnerships with staff, management, organized labor, external agencies, and other stakeholders.
- Able to wisely, effectively, and sensitively address personnel issues including performance evaluations, discipline, grievances, interpretation of personnel policies and procedures, labor contracts, and related matters.
- A manager that encourages open dialogue, new ideas, and is flexible. A listener.
Located just seven miles inland from the Pacific Ocean in northern San Diego County, the City of Vista has a perfect mild Mediterranean climate. Residents enjoy a wide range of year-round outdoor activities in a setting of gentle rolling hills and pleasant rural surroundings.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Rev2-Vista-FC.pdf
To be considered, please submit a resume, cover letter, and five work related references (who will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) to: https://koffassociates.com/vista-fire-chief/
. Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held, as well as size of past organization(s).
For additional information, please contact:
Frank Rojas at: (510) 495-0448