WHO WE ARE
The Local Government Commission (LGC) is a nearly 40-year-old nonprofit organization that works to build livable communities and local leadership by connecting leaders via innovative programs and network opportunities, advancing policies through participation at the local and state level, and implementing solutions as a technical assistance provider and advisor to local jurisdictions. Our work is focused on several key program areas: land use, housing, and transportation; climate; energy; national service; and water.
WHAT WE OFFER
This position is full-time and exempt and is located in Sacramento. The annual salary range for this position is between $90,000 – $110,000 depending on experience and qualifications. The benefits package includes:
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and long-term disability coverage for employee
- Vacation: Ten days of paid time off accrued in years one and two / three weeks accrued during year three
- 12 paid holidays per year
- 401K Plan with an employer match up to 4% of salary, immediately vested
- Transit reimbursement program
- Access to the LGC’s Employee Assistance Program
The Policy Director will report directly to the Executive Director and will play a key role in the LGC leadership team working closely with the Executive Team and Program Directors. This is an outward-facing strategic role that will help the LGC succeed in a dynamic regulatory environment, with both proactive and reactive measures, and effectively communicate the benefits of our policy agenda to state and local policymakers.
The ideal candidate will be a policy leader with a record of success affecting state policy in one or more of the LGC core program areas. They will have five or more years’ experience in policy work, such as government or legislative work, and have outstanding communication, research, and analytical skills.
WHAT YOU CAN BRING
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- We are searching for candidates with the following key attributes and qualifications:
- An independent self-starter and a team player who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment
- Flexible and adaptable
- A problem-solver who enjoys working with colleagues to find solutions to challenging problems
- An aptitude for overcoming obstacles
- Detail-oriented and well organized
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and balance multiple priorities
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND ABILITIES
- Helping set and implement the LGC’s strategic policy agenda
- Developing and maintaining relationships with legislators, state and local officials, and key organizations
- Researching, analyzing, and engaging in legislation and regulatory proceedings
- Preparing and providing written and oral testimony at the legislative, state, and local hearings
- Drafting regulatory comment letters, policy position briefs, and policy statements
- Developing and implementing campaigns to activate LGC members
- Assisting in the development of a policy budget and fundraising opportunities to support LGC’s policy work
- Performs other duties as necessary
APPLICATION PROCESS AND DEADLINE
- An advanced degree in public policy
- Extensive knowledge in one or more of the LGC core program areas
- Five+ years of experience in government affairs, policy analysis and development, formulating organizational positions, and implementing campaigns
- A proven track record of advancing policy initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to operate at both strategic and tactical levels
- Excellent communication skills including public speaking
- Experience providing testimony and public comments at the legislative and local policy levels
Interested applicants should email their résumés, cover letters describing their qualifications and interest in the position, and three references to HR@lgc.org.
Candidates are requested to use the following headings and labels when submitting their application. References should be included directly in the email body.
Email subject line: Policy Director Application [Full Name]
Cover Letter attachment: First Initial.Last Name_Cover
Resume attachment: First Initial.Last Name_Resume
Local Government Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. Our agency embraces a diverse & culturally rich workforce, and we welcome all candidates to apply.
This position will remain open until filled and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. The priority deadline is November 13th and the second priority deadline is November 20th.