As a key staff member of the City Manager’s Office, the Public Information Officer (PIO) / Senior Management Analyst works on a diversity of projects and programs across all City departments in support of strategic City objectives. The PIO develops and implements citywide communications and oversees all public engagement, including direct partnerships with residents, businesses and other organizations. The PIO synthesizes complex information and data and prepares an array of compelling informational and marketing materials for public consumption. A high level of political astuteness and the ability to take initiative are important to success in this role. The PIO works in a demanding, fast-paced environment where a sense of humor and a collaborative attitude are important.
This Public Information Officer (PIO) role is classified as a Senior Management Analyst and is primarily focused on public information and engagement. The PIO works closely with top level City staff to develop and implement communications strategies that engage with Daly City’s extremely diverse population. The PIO also oversees service-oriented partnerships with Daly City residents and businesses through impact volunteering programs. Under general direction of the City Manager, performs a wide variety of responsible, professional, administrative, staff assignments; administers a wide variety of interdepartmental and City-wide projects and programs; assists the Assistant City Manager, Deputy City Manager and City Manager as needed; and performs related work as required. EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Assists in program, policy and budget development, implementation, coordination, revision, review, evaluation and monitoring; provides support services for the City Council meetings and speaking before the City Council; participates in interdepartmental task forces and committees; researches, collects, compiles and analyzes financial and other data; prepares recommendations for budget requests, grants, new programs, modification of services and equipment; plans, organizes and coordinates assigned city-wide projects and monitors departmental projects; analyzes, interprets and explains City policies and procedures.
The following tasks are typical for positions in the classification. Any single position may not perform all of these tasks and/or may perform similar related tasks not listed.
1. Determines need for and gathers information from various departments and from outside sources in order to research proposed programs and projects.
2. Analyzes data in order to assess cost, operational feasibility and other aspects of proposed programs and projects.
3. Prepares reports and presentations on all pertinent aspects of proposed programs and projects including budget projection.
4. Make presentations on assigned projects and programs to the City Council and others.
5. Monitors and coordinates execution of approved projects and programs including preparing all required reports and supervising all related record keeping.
6. Recommends changes in program emphasis or execution.
7. Assists in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and procedures.
8. Confers with operating staff regarding the implementation of programs and the interpretation and application of policies and procedures.
Knowledge of: Senior Management Analysts have comprehensive knowledge of the principles, practices and methods of municipal budgeting, finance, public administration and organizational development; modern management of departments and organizations; pertinent legislation; interpersonal behavior dynamics.
Ability to: Write and present reports and recommendations; speak before groups; properly interpret, explain and act in accordance with laws, regulations and policies; demonstrate competency in research and analysis, decision making, and management skills; and tactfully relate to the public, departmental managers, employees, other organizations and outside agencies; interact positively and cooperate with co-workers, respond politely to customers, work as a team member, function under demanding time pressure, respond in a positive manner to supervision, and attend work and perform duties on a regular and consistent basis. Education: Graduation from a four-year college or university, with major course work in communications, public relations, journalism, English, Public or Business Administration or a related field providing education in writing and public policy. Advanced degree desirable. Experience: Three to five years of responsible work experience involving public relations and internal / external communications including experience developing and implementing a comprehensive communications program. Previous experience in a fiscal or administrative capacity; or an equivalent combination of related training and experience. License: Possession of a valid Class C California Driver's License.
1. Uses effective, modern techniques in community relations, public engagement, media relations, marketing, social media and content creation to strategically advance City goals and objectives
2. Manages all City communications including quarterly print newsletter, monthly e-newsletter, website homepage news articles and spotlights, all social media accounts, weekly PSA videos with City leaders, press releases, public-facing documents like annual reports, and more
3. Prepares talking points, fact sheets and speeches for City leaders
4. Works in a fast-paced environment to disseminate timely information to the public and media often on short notice, and prepares communications in disaster and emergency situations
5. Develops communications calendar and plans for specific projects that require public engagement, in collaboration with City departments
6. Creates visually compelling marketing and public information materials, including advertisements, flyers, posters, notices, infographics and more
7. Builds strong working relationships with trusted community messengers
8. Coordinates translations of communications materials
9. Maintains confidentiality of all sensitive information
10. Implements service-oriented programs to accomplish civic goals in partnership with residents and businesses through impact volunteering