Education/Training- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by specialized training in building inspection, building technology, architecture, engineering, or a related field.
Experience-Five years of experience in a building trade and four year of experience as a Building Inspector.
License or Certificate: Possession of ICC certification as a Building Inspector. Possession of, or ability to obtain, additional ICC certifications as a Plumbing, Electrical, or Mechanical Inspector is desirable.
Possession of ICC certification as a Combination Building Inspector is desirable.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
· Methods, materials, and progressive steps used in the construction of buildings and related structures.
· Pertinent uniform building related codes, ordinances, and regulations enforced by the City including California Building Code, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical codes, zoning ordinances, general land use codes, and related City codes.
· Principles and techniques used in building inspection work including those used to examine the quality of work and materials and to detect deviations from plans, regulations, and standard construction practices.
· Building construction safety standards
· Permit processing procedures
· Modern office procedures
· Methods, principles and procedures of record keeping.
· Understand, interpret, explain, and enforce provisions of applicable building, safety, and zoning codes and ordinance requirements to contractors, developers, and the general public.
· Perform the full range of building inspections including the more complex commercial and industrial
· Examine workmanship and material and detect deviation from plans, regulations, and standard
construction methods and requirements.
· Determine that construction systems conform to City code requirements.
· Advise on standard construction methods and requirements.
· Analyze, interpret and accurately check building plans and specifications.
· Respond to requests and inquiries from the general public.
· Read and interpret plans, diagrams, specifications, and notes.
· Maintain complete and accurate records.
· Write routine reports and correspondence.
· Make arithmetical computations rapidly and accurately.
· Enforce necessary regulations with firmness and tact.
· Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
· Monthly Base Salary Range –$5,406- $6,751
· Longevity steps of 5% at 7, 11, 20 years of City employment
· City of Auburn does not pay into Social Security
· CalPERS formula, subject to the Pension Reform Act.
· Participation in CalPERS- 2% at 62 PEPRA plan or 2% @ 55 if classic. Employee pays entire “Employee” obligation towards plan
· City offers CalPERS health insurance plans for employees and dependents. City provides a monthly cafeteria amount of up to $2,128.25 as an amount above employee’s gross salary to be used toward the purchase of health, dental and vision coverage.
· Life insurance of $50,000
· Choice of plans available. Voluntary employee contribution
· 12 to 23 days vacation leave annually, based on years of employment with City
· 12 days of sick leave annually