The City of Fresno's Transportation Department (FAX) is seeking a dynamic Transit Operations Manager who will be responsible for planning, organizing and leading a team committed to making a difference. The successful candidate will be a strong manager and communicator who is innovative and possesses thorough knowledge of fixed route operations, state and federal requirements and has the proven ability to successfully lead and empower employees within the Transit Operations Division. In this capacity, the incumbent actively participates in organizational efforts needed to improve the level of transit services provided to the community.
The incumbent will provide leadership in the development, implementation, and assessment of operational goals, drafting of policies, implementation of procedures, and will provide oversight in the implementation of various work plans needed to support the budget. In addition, the incumbent must be able to effectively manage transit operation activities while working collaboratively with Divisions within FAX and other City departments, as well as community stakeholders.
The Transit Operations Manager is a key member of the management team in the FAX Department. This is an unclassified position that serves at the will of the Department Director.
The City is seeking a strong leader who can effectively collaborate with others to accomplish the mission of providing safe, reliable, and efficient public transportation services.
The ideal candidate must possess a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in transportation, business or public administration, or closely related field; and four years of progressively responsible management experience in public or private transit system operations. Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis, up to a maximum of two years.
Possession of a valid Class C California Driver's License is required at the time of appointment. Candidates considered for hire must provide proof of a valid driver's license and current copy of their driving record.
In addition to the above, the following further describes the knowledge, skill, experience and attributes the ideal candidate for this position will possess:
- Experience managing transit personnel and operations;
- Thorough knowledge of state and federal requirements for transit systems, including grants, safety procedures, rules, ordinances, regulations, and traffic laws;
- Initiative to drive and cultivate purposeful change with an emphasis on public service;
- Experience in preparing, evaluating, and analyzing various reports needed to monitor and measure the overall performance and effectiveness of the Division;
- Effective communication skills and the ability to work with various organized labor groups;
- Knowledge and experience with organized labor and related regulations and requirements;
- Knowledge and experience in managing various capital improvement projects;
- Skill in the assessment of transit training and development programs;
- Experience setting program goals and objectives, developing and administering budgets; and
- Computer literate and the ability to implement/utilize technology to improve operations.
Interested and qualified applicants must submit an official City of Fresno application on-line by October 22, 2019. Applications may be submitted at www.fresno.gov. For information on how to complete an on-line application, please view "Instruction Guide" on the City's website, Personnel Services Career Opportunities page, or call (559) 621-6950 for assistance.
Applicants deemed most qualified will be invited to interview for this rewarding and excellent opportunity.
Inquiries should be directed to:
Bill Merryman, Sr. HR Analyst
2600 Fresno Street
Fresno, California 93721-3614 (559) 621-6950